Den (dewhitton) wrote,

Road Trip Day 2

March 31

Woke up at 8ish and discovered I'd missed azhdragon, who had to go to work. Thanks Alex, for once again letting me put up with you.

The ferry sailed at 7pm, so I had most of a day to kill.

StringybarksI didn't really want to go into the city so I headed back into the Dandenong Range. I went back to Grant's for a wander through the tall Stringybark trees, the world's tallest flowering plants.

After driving around for a while, and ending up at Emerald Lakes again, I couldn't help myself. I had to put on the anorak and head to Belgrave Station.

Belgrave Station Belgrave Station Puffing Billy Puffing Billy

And then it was time for lunch. Mount Dandenong Bakery Pies. Eat them; you will not be disappointed.

After lunch I popped in to the William Ricketts Sanctuary, a patch of rainforest bought by Ricketts and filled with his ceramic sculptures. He had this amazing way of blending ceramics and stone together so you couldn't tell where the joins were. Most of his subjects are Aborigines and The Bush

William Ricketts Sanctuary William Ricketts Sanctuary William Ricketts Sanctuary William Ricketts Sanctuary William Ricketts Sanctuary

It rained several times and I found myself sheltering under a ceramic arch.

William Ricketts Sanctuary
William Ricketts Sanctuary William Ricketts Sanctuary
More photos of the sculptures are on my Flickr album.

Then it was time to wander through the tree ferns to a nearby cafe for a long mug of cappuccino and to dry out.

Tree Ferns and Stringybarks Bush Bridge

Finally it was time. I asked Ada to get us to the ferry, and we headed off to Port Melbourne. A couple of hours later I was at quarantine, being asked if I was carrying (in order of dangerousness) firearms, ammunition, fruit, vegetables, explosives, dairy products or LP Gas. I wasn't, and they let me in to the queue. Ada insisted I turn right, but I told her we were okay and put her to bed for the night.

Waiting To Board

By 7.30 I was in my room without a view. It was very comfy and worth the extra cost for a single, except I got a 4 berth cabin to myself. BONUS!

Room Without A View

Then I took the camera up to the lifeboat deck to say goodbye to Melbourne.

Goodnight Melbourne

At 8pm I settled down for a nice meal just as they announced we were leaving Melbourne. The engines revved up and as the ferry started to move a bunch of happy diners suddenly went greenish and dropped cutlery, pushed food away, etc. Good grief! If they were like that now, I wondered how they would cope when we left Port Philip Bay and entered Bass Strait. I coped well, in case you're wondering. I don't get seasick.

After dinner I retired to the bar on deck 10, ordered a Cascade Draught, and sipped the yummy beer while I read my book. About halfway through the fourth beer (or second pint) I noticed the movement of the ship had changed. We were going through the heads. Time for bed, so I finished the beer and headed for my bunk. Tomorrow I'll be in Tasmania.
Tags: road trip

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded